Welcome to visahub a immigration company

College Admission & Visa Services

Mon-Fri: 11:00-19:00

Alberta is a prosperous province rich in natural beauty and resources. Located in Western Canada, Alberta has one of Canada’s fastest growing economies. The province is home to two of Canada’s largest cities, Calgary and Edmonton, and is the most populous of the country’s three ‘Prairie provinces’. It is also renowned as one of the most beautiful parts of North America, with famous national parks, such as Banff and Jasper.

1. What is Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP)?

The Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) is Alberta’s Provincial Nominee Program. Through this program, prospective immigrants with the right mix of skills and work experience needed by the province may receive an Alberta Provincial Nomination Certificate. This PNP is quite compatible with foreign workers, international students with work experience in Alberta, and agricultural workers.

The AINP consists of the following immigration streams:

Alberta Opportunity Stream
Alberta Express Entry Stream
Alberta Self-Employed Farmer Stream


2. Who can apply for AINP?

Alberta Opportunity Stream

This stream allows individuals who meet the stream’s minimum eligibility requirements and are working in Alberta in an eligible occupation to apply for an AINP provincial nomination.

Alberta Express Entry Stream

This stream allows the Government of Alberta to nominate eligible candidates from Canada’s Express Entry system. A successful nomination under this stream results in 600 additional Comprehensive Ranking System(CRA) points.

Self-Employed Farmer Stream

This stream allows individuals with farming experience and personal funds to purchase and develop a farm in Alberta to apply for permanent residence. Successful applicants are farm owners/operators who plan to live in Alberta in order to purchase and manage their farming business.

3. What are the general criterion for AINP?

Stream Job offer required? Basic Criteria
Opportunity Yes
  • Job offer in NOC 0, A, B, C, or D
  • Currently working in the same eligible occupation which relates to previous work experience
  • Valid Work Permit
  • High school Diploma
  • NOC 0, A, B: CLB5 in English or French
  • NOC C or D: CLB 4
  • CLB7 for Nurse aides, orderlies (NOC3413)
  • Work Experience:
12 months full time in current occupation in NOC A or B in the last 18 months, or 24 months full time in current occupation in Canada and/or abroad in the last 30 months, or For PGWP holders, 6 months full-time in current A or B occupation in the last 18 months which relates to previous studies outside Canada *PGWP approved education programs: 1-year post-diploma/baccalaureate certificate, 2-year diploma, undergraduate bachelor’s degree, graduate degree/certificate/diploma *If enrolled in studies before Apr.1st, 2019, 1-year certificate is also eligible
Express Entry No
  • Have an EE profile
  • Meet the minimum criteria for FSW, FST, or CEC
  • CRS score of 300
  • Prove strong ties to Alberta
  • International Graduates are eligible
Self-Employed Farmer No
  • Net worth $500,000
  • Investment $500,000
  • Education, training and work/management experience in farming
  • Business Plan
  • Prove that a Canadian financial institution is willing to finance the project
  • In-person interview to determine the candidate’s eligibility

4. What are the specific criterion for AINP?

4.1. Alberta Opportunity Stream

The Alberta Opportunity Stream (AOS) is a pathway to Canadian permanent residence for foreign workers in Alberta and international students who have completed their studies at an approved Alberta post-secondary institution.

Have a valid temporary resident status in Canada that authorizes eligibility to work in Canada (i.e. temporary foreign worker);

Have a valid work permit (not implied status or restoration status) for an eligible occupation based on either:

    • a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA); 
    • a LMIA exemption for workers covered under international trade agreements, Intra-Company Transferees, or people taking part in International Experience Canada, as determined by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC); or
    • a LMIA exemption as a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) holder. The applicant must:

have met the requirements for graduation from an Alberta Advanced Education approved credential issued by an Alberta Advanced Education approved Alberta public and private post-secondary institution.

Currently be in an occupation related to his or her field of study in Alberta.

For applicants admitted and enrolled in an Alberta-approved post-secondary credential program on or after April 1, 2019, their current occupation must also be related to their previous undergraduate or graduate field of study outside Canada.

Applicants to the AOS must have a minimum of CLB 4 in either English or French

Individuals applying under NOC code 3413 (Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates) require a minimum of CLB 7 in English or French. 

Candidates in NOC 0, A and B occupations will need a minimum of CLB 5 in each language skill. 

At the time of applying for the AOS, individuals must have completed at least a Canadian high school diploma or equivalent in their country of origin. The highest level of foreign education must be verified through an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA).

A Post-Graduation Work Permit holder applying for the AOS must meet the requirements for graduation for an Alberta Advanced Education approved credential issued by an Alberta Advanced Education-approved post-secondary institution in the province.

An applicant who has been admitted to an Alberta Advanced Education approved post-secondary program before April 1, 2019may be eligible to apply to this stream. 

The applicant must currently be employed in the occupation listed as his or her ‘current occupation’ when submitting to the AINP.

The applicant must be working in an occupation that matches his or her work experience at the time of applying and at the time the AINP processes the application.

Individuals must: 

  • have a minimum of 12 months of full-time work experience in the ‘current occupation’ in Alberta within the last 18 months; or
  • have a minimum of 24 months of full-time work experience in the ‘current occupation’ in Canada and/or outside Canada within the last 30 months
    • This work experience can be a combination of experience gained in the province of Alberta, in Canada (outside Alberta) and/or outside Canada.

If an applicant is a Post-Graduation Work Permit holder, he or she:

  • must have a minimum of six months full-time work experience in his or her current occupation in Alberta within the last 18 months, and
  • must currently be in an occupation related to his or her field of study in Alberta based on an approved Alberta educational credential from an Advanced Education-approved Alberta post-secondary institution. Also, if the applicant has completed an Advanced Education-approved one-year post-graduate certificate, the occupation must also be related to his or her previous undergraduate or graduate field of study in Canada.

In addition to meeting the time frame requirements above, the work experience:

  • must have been full-time, for a minimum of 30 hours/week (part-time work will not be considered);
  • must have been in the same occupation as the ‘current occupation’ listed in the application;
  • must have been authorized by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada and with valid temporary resident status if completed in Alberta or Canada;
  • cannot be completed while studying in Canada and doing co-op work placements or internships as part of a study program.*

*Post-Graduation Work Permit holders who have work experience from paid co-op placements as part of study program at an Alberta post-secondary institution may use that experience as part of the work experience requirement. For these applicants, the work experience must meet the following conditions:

  1. The paid co-op work term must have been full-time (minimum of 30 hours per week).
  2. The work experience must be directly related to a Post-Graduation Work Permit holder’s ‘current occupation‘.
  3. The work experience must have been in Alberta

The job offer must:

Be for continuous, paid, full-time work, defined as a minimum of 30 hours/week for 12 months or more for an eligible AINP occupation;

Be signed by the applicant and the Alberta employer;

Offer employment for 12 months or more;

Offer work in the applicant’s current occupation; and

Offer work in an eligible AINP occupation for which an applicant has a work permit that meets the AINP work permit requirements. 

Job offers for the following conditions are considered ineligible:

  • part-time employees, regardless of their working hours;
  • independent contractors, business owners or temporary agency workers, including individuals listed as Directors, Shareholders or Agents of the Alberta employer on the Corporate Registry System (CORES);
  • employees who work in Alberta in a place of employment that is not zoned for commercial or industrial operations, such as a home-based business; or

employees who do not work on premises in Alberta, such as those who work in a “virtual” location or serve the employer by telecommuting from a location outside Alberta.

If an applicant is working in any of the following applications, he or she may be ineligible to apply for the AOS.

NOCNOC Skill LevelOccupation Title
04220School Principals and Administrators of Elementary and Secondary Education
04230Managers in Social, Community and Correctional Services
04320Fire Chiefs and Senior Firefighting Officers
06510Escort Agency Managers, Massage Parlour Managers
4031ASecondary School Teachers
4032AElementary School and Kindergarten Teachers
4154AProfessional Occupations in Religion
5121AAuthors and Writers
5133AMusicians and Singers
5135AActors and Comedians
5136APainters, Sculptors and Other Visual Artists
1227BCourt Officers and Justices of the Peace
3223BDental Laboratory Bench Workers
4214BEarly Childhood Educators and Assistants (only those without certification as a Child Development Worker (Level 2) or Child Development Supervisor (Level 3) through Alberta Children’s Services – Child Care Staff Certification Office)*
4216BOther Instructors
4217BOther Religious Occupations
5232BOther Performers, n.e.c.
5244BArtisans and Craftspersons
6232BReal Estate Agents and Salespersons
4411CHome Child Care Providers
4412CHome Support Workers, Housekeepers and Related Occupations
4413CElementary and Secondary School Teacher Assistants
6533CCasino Occupations
6564COther Personal Service Occupations
7513CTaxi and Limousine Drivers and Chauffeurs
8442CTrappers and Hunters
6623COther Sales Related Occupations
6722COperators and Attendants in Amusement, Recreation and Sport
6742DOther Service Support Occupations, n.e.c.
8611DHarvesting Labourers
8612DLandscaping and Grounds Maintenance Labourers
8613DAquaculture and Marine Harvest Labourers
8614DMine Labourers

There are additional occupations that are considered ineligible for applicants on a Post-Graduation Work Permit. These occupations are not in demand in Alberta and can be filled by Albertans and Canadians. If the applicant’s occupation is on the Government of Canada’s list of high-wage and low-wage occupations in the province of Alberta, he or she is not eligible to apply.

4.2. Alberta Express Entry Stream

Have an active Express Entry profile in the federal Express Entry pool;
Have stated an interest in immigrating permanently to Alberta;
Are working in an occupation that supports Alberta’s economic development and diversification; and
Have a minimum CRS score of 300.

In addition, the AINP is more likely to select candidates with one or more adaptability factors. The candidate must:

  • Have a valid Alberta job offer and/or work experience; and/or
  • Be a graduate of an Alberta post-secondary institution with a valid Alberta job offer; and/or
  • Have parent, child, brother and/or sister who is a permanent resident living in Alberta, or a Canadian citizen living in Alberta.

Factors that may decrease the chances of receiving a NOI letter include:

  • An Express Entry profile that expires in three months or less.
  • Work in an occupation:

4.3. Alberta Self-Employed Farmer Stream

Applicants to this stream must:

Be able to invest a minimum of CAD $500,000 of equity in a primary production farming business in Alberta;
Provide documents that demonstrate a minimum net worth of CAD $500,000 or confirmation that they have access to a similar amount of funds from other sources (CAD $500,000 is the minimum amount. Applicants may be required to show you have the ability to invest more than the minimum); and
Provide proof that a Canadian financial institution is willing to finance their proposed farming business.
Invest in a primary production farming business in Alberta. (Applicants will have to document their investment intentions in their proposed business plan. Applications representing the best opportunity for growth relevant to Alberta’s agri-food targets will be given priority.)


If you studied in Alberta, then Express Entry Stream would be the easiest to get a PR. It has no language requirement, so as long as your CRS score reached 300, you will be eligible for an application for PR.

If you also have a job offer, or are currently working for an Alberta employer, and have at least a year of full time work experience in NOC A or B; or 6 months of full time NOC A/B work experience in the last 18 months relates to previous study outside Canada, you may choose Opportunity Stream.

If you also have a job offer, or are currently working for an Alberta employer, and have at least a year of full time work experience in NOC A or B; or 2 year of full time work experience in Canada or anywhere in the world, then you could also be eligible for Opportunity Stream. The language requirement is CLB 5, but if you are working as one of the following: NOC code 3413 (Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates), then you need to get CLB7 or higher.