Welcome to visahub a immigration company

College Admission & Visa Services

Mon-Fri: 11:00-19:00

1. What is a Canadian study permit?

A document issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship (IRCC) to someone who wants to come to Canada to study, or continue ongoing studies in Canada.


2. What are the general requirements for a Canadian study permit?

Obtain a letter of acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI);

Proof of funds to cover the first year of tuition, as well as living expenses and return transportation;

Satisfy Canadian immigration authorities that they will leave Canada at the end of the period authorized by the study permit

Valid passport or travel document

Police certificate and medical examination might be required

3. Who need to apply for study permit?

There are two types of students, and only one of them require student permit.

RequiredNot required
  • Program of more than 6 months in duration
  • Any program that requires a co-op or internship
  • A minor is accompanying a parent(s) who is in Canada as a visitor
  • The person is from visa-exempt country
  • Program of 6 months or less in duration
  • Family or staff member of a foreign representative accredited by the Global Affairs Canada
  • Member of a foreign armed force under the Visiting Forces Act
  • Citizen of another country with registered Indian status in Canada
  • Minor children attending pre-school or kindergarten
  • Minor children who are refugees or refugee claimants or whose parents are refugees or refugee claimants
  • Minor children in Canada accompanying a parent who is allowed to work or study in Canada, and will attend pre-school, primary or secondary school (in Quebec CAQ may be required)

Place of apply

Some people may apply study permit within Canada or at the Port of Entry (POE).

Within Canada
  • Spouse/Common law and family members being sponsored who are in Canada and have applied for PR.
  • Person or family members holding a study or work permit
  • Minor children in primary or secondary school
  • Exchange or visiting students
  • Temporary Resident Permit holders (permit must be valid for at least 6 months)
  • Students who have completed a short-term course that is a condition for acceptance at a DLI
  • Family or staff member of a foreign representative
  • Family member of: Canadian team athletes, media representatives, members of the clergy, military personnel based in Canada
At Port of Entry
  • A national or a permanent resident of the United States
  • A resident of Greenland
  • A resident of St. Pierre and Miquelon

4. What is the proof of funds? And what is the minimum amount?

Canadian study permit applicants must prove they can support themselves and accompanying family members, if applicable, while in Canada.

4.1. Proof of funds

Proof of funds for a study permit can be proven with:

Proof of a Canadian bank account in your name, if you have transferred money to Canada
Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating Canadian financial institution
Proof of a student/education loan from a bank;
Bank statements for the past four months;
A bank draft that can be converted to Canadian dollars;
Proof you paid tuition and housing fees;
A letter from the person or school giving you money; and/or
Proof of funding paid from within Canada, if you have a scholarship or are in a Canadian-funded educational program.

4.2. Minimum funds

The minimum funds requirements are outlined below. The requirements for students destined for the province of Quebec are different.

Minimum funds: all provinces except Quebec

Persons coming to CanadaAmount of funds required per year (additional to the tuition)Amount of funds required per month (additional to the tuition)
You (the student)$10,000$833
First family member$4,000$333
For each additional accompanying family member$3,000$255

Minimum funds for Quebec

Persons coming to CanadaAmount of funds required per year (additional to the tuition)Amount of funds required per month (additional to the tuition)
You (the student)$11,000$917
First family member (18 years or older)$5,100$425
First family member (under the age of 18)$3,800$317
Every additional accompanying family member (18 years or older)$5,125$427
Every additional accompanying family member (under the age of 18)$1,903159

5. Why was I refused a Student Visa to Canada?

The Student Visa application process is a lengthy one. In addition, many documents must be provided to strengthen and support the application.  Many individuals do not understand the process and there is a high rate of refusal when an individual applies on their own. After receiving a refusal, the individual has been flagged and any subsequent application must be as strong as possible in order to have any chance of approval.

Main Reasons for Refusal
Study PlanWithout a detailed and logical study plan, the officer will not be convinced the main purpose of coming to Canada is to study. There must be a logical progression of studying if a person already has previous post-graduate education or work experience. This is the most common reason for refusal.
Proof of FinancesTuition in Canada starts at $15,000 CAD per year. The Canadian government wants to ensure a student has the financial support to pay for their tuition and living expenses. A bank statement with a minimum of $30,000 CAD equivalent needs to be provided as evidence.
Lack of evidentiary documentsFail to provide medical examination letter, police certificate, or any supporting documents.
Illegal Status in Country of Residence
Documents that appear not authentic
History of overstaying status on a previous visit to Canada
Criminality (having previously been charged with a crime)
Previous Deportation: for overstaying visit illegally
Medical Inadmissibility: have a contagious disease that is a threat to Canadians
Human Rights Violations: previously served in the military for a country that has been deemed to have participated in war crimes. Additional documents must be provided to overcome this inadmissibility.

6. How to write a neat study plan?

Try to make it simple and direct, an easy way to do it is to use some subtitles to mark different parts. Do not exceed a page’s length. And, do not copy from the templates! Show your personality.

Study plan questions

To answer this question, you will want to describe the reasons why you want to study in Canada. Explain why you are choosing to study in Canada.What makes Canada so special to you? List some of the reasons you are attracted to pursue a program in Canada. You may want to mention that Canada has well known education system whose qualifications are valued around the globe.

Canada is known for its multicultural society. You may wish to convey how excited you are to experience this new country and its culture. If you have studied abroad before, you may wish to add how important international education is to you.  

Go into greater depth and describe what your goal is. Is it to continue your education directly after secondary school? Perhaps it’s to expand your knowledge by achieving a master’s or postgraduate degree. You may support your answer by discussing the field of study you’re interested in and how this particular route will further your career goals.

You may even consider doing research into the type of industry you want to work in and what the general requirements are. This helps you better understand if your educational plans align with your overall career goals.

Canada is well-known for its quality education system which is recognized globally. This alone may be the reason as to why you chose to pursue a program in Canada over your country. It’s possible Canada has a certain institution with the exact course or program you want to study in. One that may not be available in your country. This is reason enough to want to pursue education elsewhere.

Don’t limit your research. Take this opportunity to discuss the options your home country gives you in regards to schools and programs. There’s a chance your country will in fact have the same program you’re hoping to pursue in Canada. You’ll want to explain why you prefer the Canadian school or program over your own. You may even choose to discuss the differences in education overall between your home country and Canada.

At this time, you can discuss the various job positions you have looked into in your country. It’s possible you found a desirable job in your country, but unfortunately lack the appropriate education needed to apply for it. In this case, you can discuss how continuing your education in Canada will help prepare you for this role in your home country.

For this particular question, you must state whether or not you have family in your country. An officer has to be convinced that you will leave Canada at the end of your permitted stay. Explain whether or not you have family in your home country or a third country outside of Canada. You should disclose if you have children, other family, and if you are married to someone in your country of residence. You can also mention your financial ties to your home country (like property or businesses that your parents own or if you have a potential job offer or employment opportunities etc .).

You must list who is sponsoring your education. It may be your family, host school or an organization. Most importantly, you must explain why it is they’re sponsoring your education.

In this section, you must provide details of all the schools you have attended to date. Details include the start and end dates, full institution name(s), and address(s). You must also state the programs completed if you’ve attended college or university.

Finally, share your work history in this section. This includes any jobs or volunteer positions you’ve held, and how they may help with your studies and overall goals.


To complete your study plan, summarize your educational goals and the reasons behind why you want to study in Canada. In addition, it’s common courtesy to thank the person you’re writing to.


Yes! But there are some restrictions on different kinds of work.
On Campus
  • Work permit NOT required
  • Have a valid study permit
  • Enrolled full time at a designated Canadian post-secondary institution
  • Have a Social Insurance Number(SIN)
Off Campus
  • Work permit NOT required
  • Have a valid study permit
  • Enrolled full time at a designated Canadian post-secondary institution (ESL/FSL/General Interest/Preparatory programs NOT eligible)
  • Can work up to 20 hours per week during academic sessions, and full time during holidays
  • Have a Social Insurance Number(SIN)
Co-op or Intern
  • Work permit NOT required
  • Have a valid study permit
  • The intended employment must be an essential part of the academic program in Canada (ESL/FSL/General Interest/Preparatory programs NOT eligible), but no more than 50%
Post Graduation
  • Work Permit required
  • Have graduated from a designated Canadian post-secondary institution (ESL/FSL/General Interest/Preparatory programs NOT eligible)
  • Distance learning eligible if it is less than 50% of the program
  • Must apply within 180 days after written confirmation or completed studies and have a valid study permit at some point during these 180 days
  • WP generally issued for same length of study program for people who studied in programs of more than 8 months, but under 2 years in length
  • For programs 2 years or longer, the PGWP may be issued for 3 years
  • No prior PGWP has been issued

Yes if you tick the boxes. This one is called Student Direct Stream.

Legal residents of China, India, Morocco, Pakistan, the Philippines, Senegal, and Vietnam.

Medical exam confirmation

Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of CAD $10,000 from a Canadian financial Institution

Proof of paid tuition fees for the first year of study

Graduated from a Canadian high school or submit language test results (IELTS band 6 / TEF CLB7)

Acceptance Letter from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada


To see the full DLI list, check here.

Very possibly!

You may turn to Canadian Experience Class program if you have 12 months full time or equivalent part-time Canadian work experience in NOC 0, A, or B three years before applying.

Or, you can turn to some other Provincial Nominee Programs for international students.

Also, if you have strong educational backgrounds and language proficiency, you may try using Express Entry system and create your profile.