Welcome to visahub a immigration company

College Admission & Visa Services

Mon-Fri: 11:00-19:00

Our team at Visa Hub is here to assist you with the work permit process. Our immigration experts have years of experience dealing with this particular process and can assist you to prepare an error-free Work Permit application. There are a variety of streams and each stream has its own requirements.  In general, there are two types of Work Permit s in Canada:
  1. Open Work Permit
  2. Employer Specific Work Permit 


1. Student Dependent Work Permit

International Students have the liberty to apply for a Work Permit for their dependent spouse and a visitor visa or a study permit for their children during their study in Canada. The applications must be submitted at the same time. 

To be eligible student’s studies must be full-time and meet Study Permit requirements.

2. Spousal Work Permit

Spouses or common-law partners of Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents have the liberty to apply for an Open Work Permit, provided if they apply within Canada Spousal Sponsorship or Common-law Sponsorship application and are currently present in Canada.

3. Study Permit

Allows the students to work up to 20 hours a week Off-Campus. Work On-campus does not require a Work Permit. After the student has completed his/her study he/she may apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit  (PGWP) which allows the student to work full time.

4. Bridging Open Work Permit

A bridging open work permit (BOWP) lets you keep working while you wait for the results of your permanent residence application.

You may be eligible for a bridging Open Work Permit  if

5. Regular Open Work Permit

There are two kinds of open work permits: unrestricted open work permits and occupation restricted open work permits.

Under an unrestricted open work permit, a foreign national can work in any job, in any place, and for any employer. An unrestricted open work permit will be given to eligible workers who have passed the medical exam.


  • Applicants for permanent residence on humanitarian and compassionate grounds and your application has been approved in principle
  • Applicants with no other means of support. 
  • Certain kinds of permanent resident applicants living in Canada. 
  • Canada World Youth Program participants
  • Participants in certain international student and young worker exchange programs
  • The family members of military personnel and foreign representatives who are exempt from the LMIA requirement
  • Professional athletes entering Canada who require other work to support themselves while playing for a Canadian team
  • Spouses of skilled worker residents
  • Spouses of foreign students
  • Foreign nationals currently in Canada whose work permit will soon expire and who have submitted an application for permanent residence under:
    • The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)
    • The Canadian Experience Class (CEC)
    • A Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)
    • The Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP)
    • Foreign nationals who have submitted an application for permanent residence under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class.

In most cases, you will have to pay the open work permit holder fee at the same time that you pay the work permit fee.

For list of countries that do and do not require medical exams, click here.

6. International Experience Canada

To become a candidate in one of the International Experience Canada (IEC) pools, Check the schedule for rounds and get an invitation to apply, and apply for a work permit.

Only have 1 IEC profile is allowed at any time. However, you can be eligible for more than 1 IEC pool and you can apply for more than one pool. Priority will be as follow: 

  1. Working Holiday
  2. Young Professionals
  3. International Co-op (Internship)


To participate:

  • your country or territory of citizenship must have an agreement with Canada that allows you to apply for an IEC work permit or
  • you may be able to use a recognized organization (RO)

You must also meet the eligibility requirements for your country or territory of citizenship and the pool you’re applying for.

Some countries only allow you to participate once. Others allow you to participate twice, but in different pools.  Even if you’re issued an invitation to apply (ITA), you can’t participate more times than your country allows.

Note: Dependamnts aren’t eligible to accompany you to Canada under the IEC program.

6.1. Working Holiday

Fund your vacation with temporary work in Canada.

This category is for you if:

  • You don’t have a job offer yet
  • You want to work for more than one employer in Canada
  • You want to work in more than one location
  • You’d like to earn some money so that you can travel

The type of work permit you get for Working Holiday is an open work permit.

6.2. Young Professionals

Gain Canadian professional work experience to better compete in a global economy.

This category is for you if:

  • You have a job offer in Canada that contributes to your professional development
  • You’ll work for the same employer in the same location during your stay in Canada

Under this category, work must be:

  • paid and not self-employed

The type of work permit you get in the Young Professionals category is an employer-specific work permit.

Your employer must meet all labour laws in the province or territory you plan to work including meeting minimum wage requirements.

The job you are offered in Canada must be classified as a National Occupational Classification (NOC) Code Skill Type Level 0, A or B to be considered as contributing to your “professional development.” A NOC C job might be accepted if you can submit a post-secondary diploma, certificate or degree, with your work permit application.

6.3. International Co-op (Internship)

Get valuable overseas work experience related to your field of study.

This category is for you if:

  • you’re a student registered at a post-secondary institution
  • you have a job offer for a work placement or internship in Canada
  • you need to do this work placement or internship to complete your studies
  • you’ll work for the same employer in the same location during your stay in Canada

The type of work permit you get in the International Co-op (Internship) category is an employer-specific work permit. The internship you are offered in Canada must be directly linked to your field of studies.

Wages must follow the labour laws in the province or territory you will be working in. The labour code of the province or territory will determine if an internship needs to be paid or not.

Employment and labour law standards apply to all foreign nationals in Canada. It is up to the IEC candidates and their Canadian employer to inquire, for their particular case, with the relevant provincial or territorial departments regarding labour standards.

7. Business people

Business people come to do business under a free trade agreement and can enter and work in Canada if they qualify under one of these agreements:

7.1. Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA)

CUSMA lets citizens of Canada, the United States, and Mexico gain quick entry into each other’s countries for temporary business or investment reasons. In Canada, these people do not need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

There are four groups of business- people under CUSMA:

  • business visitors
  • professionals
  • intra-company transferees
  • traders and investors

Business visitors

Is someone who comes to Canada to take part in international business activities. Business visitors are able to stay for up to six months.

Business visitors do not need a work permit.


To work in Canada as a professional, you must:

  • be qualified to work in one of the jobs set out in CUSMA (for example, accountant, computer systems analyst or engineer),
  • have a job offer from a Canadian business in that field and
  • have a work permit.

Intra-company transferee

This is a person who is sent to work for the same company in a different country. If this is your case, you must:

  • have worked on an ongoing basis, for at least one year in the last three years, for the same or a related employer in the United States or Mexico,
  • be transferred to Canada to work short term for the same or a related employer,
  • work as a manager, as an executive, or in a job that uses specialized knowledge, and
  • have a work permit.

Traders and investors

To work in Canada as a trader or investor, you must:

  • be involved in planning, as a supervisor or executive, or in a role that involves essential skills,
    • a large amount of trade in goods or services, mainly between Canada and your home country, or
    • a large investment in Canada by you or your company,
  • meet any other rules of CUSMA and
  • have a work permit.

7.2. Other Free Trade Agreements

The rules are similar to those under CUSMA

  • the Canada-Chile FTA,
  • the Canada-Peru FTA,
  • the Canada-Colombia FTA, and
  • the Canada-Korea FTA.

7.3. General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS)

The rules apply to service providers from more than 140 World Trade Organization member countries.

Three groups of business people are covered:

  • business visitors,
  • professionals and
  • intra-company transferees.