Working In Canada with Visitor Visa - Convert visitor visa to work permit in 2023
This article will be explaining how you can convert your Canada visitor visa to a work permit and be able to work in Canada. Canada Admission Hub will also cover in this article how you can apply for a Canada visitor visa and the necessary documents you need to have to be able to apply for a Canada tourist visa.
A visitor Visa of also known as a temporary resident visa is an official document for foreign nationals to enter Canada for a short period of time. Most visitors to Canada can stay up to six months in Canada with a Visitor Visa. If you want to stay longer than your authorized stay, you should apply for an extension at least 30 days before the end of your stay.
To enter Canada you will need an electronic travel authorization (ETA) to travel to Canada or some people may only need their valid passport. This depends on the types of travel documents you plan to travel with, the country that issued your travel document, your nationality, and the method of travel to Canada for this trip.
There are four types of Canada Visitor Visa:
- – Visitor or tourism visa
- – Study visa or study permit
- – Work visa or work permit
- – Temporary resident Visa
You must meet some basic requirements before you can be considered to be eligible to enter Canada. The following are criteria you must meet to be allowed to enter Canada:
- You must have a valid travel document like a passport.
- You must be in good health.
- You must have no criminal or immigration-related convictions.
- You must convince an immigration officer that you have links to your home country such as a job, home, financial assets, or family that will take you back to your home country.
- You must convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit.
- You must have enough money for your stay in Canada. The amount of money you will need depends on how long you will stay and if you will stay in a hotel or with friends or relatives.
- You may also need a medical exam and a Letter of Invitation from someone who lives in Canada.
The documents you need to submit with your visa application depend on why you’re traveling to Canada. You can only apply for Canada visitor visa for the following reasons such as:
- to visit as a tourist
- to visit for business
- to visit your family and
- to visit for compassionate reasons
Usually, you can apply for a Visitor Visa online or on paper but due to the Canada Visitor visa rules 2021 and covid-19, you will have to apply online with the IRCC portal. You simply need to complete the following:
- Steps 1: Create an account and sign in to the IRCC using your email address, you will be given a code to sign up for an account with
- Step 2: Complete the online form and upload your documents, this includes the documents that show your eligible to draw the can of the right now and support your visa application
- Step 3: Pay for your visitor visa application with a credit card, the cost is $100 for a Visitor Visa single entry or multiple entries including extensions and $500 for visitor Visa maximum fee for family
Visitors with tourist visas can obtain work permits in Canada until February 28, 2023. Temporary residents who are in Canada with valid visitor status have been able to apply for an employer-specific work permit from within Canada.
This allows foreign workers to work inside Canada without leaving the country. To be eligible for an employer-specific work permit, those with visitor status must:
- be in Canada with valid temporary resident status as a visitor, which includes maintained status, at the time of they submit the work permit application;
- have submitted an employer-specific work permit application;
- remain in Canada with a valid status;
- submit the application no later than February 28, 2023.
It is not possible to work in Canada with a visitor Visa but due to the impact of the coronavirus on the Canadian Workforce and economy in general, the Canadian government has put this temporary policy in place. This will benefit International visitors who are currently in Canada with a job offer to apply for a work permit without having to leave the country. Also helps Canadian employers who are having difficulty finding workers and allows visitors who are facing visa-extending difficulties due to pandemic and to have a chance to stay and work inside Canada.
Initially, the policy allowed all visitors who arrived in Canada before August 24th, 2020, and still in Canada with a valid temporary resident status to apply for a work permit. Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (ICRC) has since expanded the eligibility criteria to include all visitors regardless of when they arrived in Canada.
This policy is for people with a visitor visa to enter Canada during the pandemic time and for those planning to come to Canada on a visitor visa and getting a work permit after arriving in Canada.
Another easy way to change a visitor visa to a work permit is through a study route. Visitors who are on tourist visas can change their status to study permit then work while studying. You can work up to 20 hours per week right after you start your program and depending on the programs and the school you choose, you can actually work in Canada with an open work permit (PGWP) for up to 3 years after finishing your study time, then apply for a Permanent Residency (PR).
It has higher success rates when it comes to changing visitor visa through study pathways compared to work permits. At Canada Admission Hub, the successful rate to change visa status from visitor to study permit is 99% including some hard cases like middle-aged students, gaps in education, student visa denied history, and so on. Our clients can start studying in Canada within a month of the process.
About Canada Admission Hub
Admission Hub is one of the largest International Student Immigration Firm based in Toronto & Vancouver. Currently, it operates in the following markets: Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, Brazil, Mexico, Turkey, Europe, Vietnam, and India.
Our parent company CVH Immigration Ltd. Admission Hub is helping and supporting International Students around the world to Study, Work, and Immigrate to Canada. We are proud to partner with over +150 Canadian Institutions.
If you want help with your Study Visa application, the first step is to BOOK A CONSULTATION with Admission Hub’s Consultant, share your background and our consultant will reach out to provide you with as much assistance as possible.